Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tiffany's Cooking Tips and More...

Is anyone else SO TIRED of Winter?! I just can't stand it anymore. And we go out quite a bit. I just want to start taking the kids for walks and going to the Y again.

So what do I do to calm the Winter blues (besides go to Target)? I make Smoked Sausage Gumbo. Did I post that recipe before? Well, even if I did, I'm posting it again. It's my most favorite thing to eat that I make (which isn't saying much). It smells delish and tastes even better.

***************
Smoked Sausage Gumbo--4 servings
1 can (14 1/2oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 C chicken broth
1/4 C flour
2 T olive oil
3/4 pound Polish or Smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 t dried oregano leaves
2 t dried thyme leaves
1/8 t ground red pepper
Rice

Combine tomatoes and broth in slow cooker. Sprinkle flour evenly over bottom of skillet. Cook over high heat without stirring 3 to 4 minutes or until flour begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium; stir flour about 4 minutes. Stir in oil until smooth. Whisk flour mixture into slow cooker.

Add sausage, vegis and spices to slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours or until juices are thickened.

Prepare rice to package directions.

Notes: The flour/oil thing never looks "right" when I do it, but the gumbo always turns out. I also add more sausage, carrots and celery to make it go furthur, and it's fine.
********************

I've been waiting and waiting for the perfect side table for our very small dining room so I have somewhere to put our laptop. And, I found it! Pier 1! Jason bought it for me for my birthday (March 7). I'll be putting it together tonight after the kiddos are in bed and Jason's at a church meeting. BTW, have you seen the commercial for some cable company where the husband goes away and leaves his wife at home? She's on the internet, on the phone, eating ice cream in the tub...and when he calls she acts like she misses him...it's the most perfect commercial ever made. I miss Jason when he's gone, but I love it, too.

Isaac is still not eating as much as he has in the past. Still growing, though. I think he might be getting a little sick, too. With Hannah and Jason sick over the last few weeks, it's not surprising. Hopefully, it's short lived.

Found some things for UJE at Target today. Some clearance items and some $1 items. I love it. It's more fun for me to shop for other people than for myself.

Allright, well, I need to go find some families to send gift packages to. Have a great night! Love to all.

PS...I was going to add a few pics but it's not working. Grrr.

2 comments:

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Yummy recipe! Thanks :-)
Do you have saline spray for boogery noses? Squirt it in and suction it out... gross but fairly effective. Ours all have boogeries... ewww.
Does Isaac have any teeth yet? Ozzie got fussy in weird ways right before his teeth started to descend.

We have cabin fever here, too. Can't count the number of times I have to say "Stop jumping on your brother. He is not a trampoline"

Katie

Jeannie said...

Hey - I'm with you. I can't wait to go out without coats, hats & blankets!! We went to Cleveland for one of Grady's appointments & stayed at RMH. They gave me your room! Can you believe it? It was really weird being there but not in my room! It also stinks that Clinton isn't there anymore. I really miss him!