Friday, April 18, 2008

Isaac Update

Yesterday we went for our WIC appointment and the dietitian seemed quite displeased with Isaac's progress. She was very concerned with his weight and overall growth and asked a lot of questions about what he is and isn't eating. At first I was defensive (and if you know me, obviously so), but I had to give her credit, she was asking all the right questions and seemed very knowledgeable. So, I left feeling like a terrible mom. I already had an appointment scheduled for the pediatrician's office today, so I added the dietitians concerns to the growing list in my notebook.

I went to the Y today for the first official time since last July. I dropped the kiddos off at KidZone (1.5 hours of free daycare at the Y) and did 30 minutes cardio, talked with a good friend and took a shower. It was a fabulous start to the day! Off to the peds we went. Isaac measured 24 inches long and weighed 13 pounds 2 ounces. Her response to my concerns?! "Given where Isaac started, with all the complications he faced, in my opinion, Isaac is doing stellar." Ok. Well, now what? I shared the concerns of others he'd seen within the last month and she just didn't feel worried about his development. She said he could be getting more calories and made a few suggestions, but that was it. She's pleased with his growth and his skills. I'll go back in another month to get a weight check. In the end, no referral to the specialty clinic. And it's hard, ya know, because I agree with her. According to what other 5 month olds are doing, he's right on target except for rolling over and she's not concerned with that, yet. And, even if we did get a referral, they wouldn't diagnose him for at least a year, if not longer. And if they did, it could be a premature diagnosis and I don't want that. Jason's response? He said I go to the appointments and meet the docs. Who do I trust? Good question. I think I'm going to go with his pediatrician and hang in there until there's something more solid that points to a deficiency beyond prematurity.

But it's not easy.

4 comments:

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

My oldest didn't roll until way late and he didn't talk till 2.5. Of course NOW he talks nonstop and is reading fluently at 4.5... SO Isaac isn't rolling yet... it's just a matter of time until you find him under a chair, in the potty, in the garage and you'll laugh. You can tell by his eyes he's got a mischievous streak. Life is never going to be dull with that cutey patootey.

Is the little guy allowed to have regular types of foods or is he on a special diet still? I sure wish I could give him some of MY weight; I'd gladly share! LOL. If he gets a taste of Hannah's whipped cream treats he won't want peas and carrots any more. With Ozzie, all his foods got added touches of butter, olive oil and coconut oil to help him gain weight. He especially liked coconut oil (health food store)and it's pretty easy to digest. I think we started with 1/8 teaspoon and worked up. (I put it on his skin sometimes too and he smelled like a tropical vacation!) He's still thin but he's growing like a weed. Mom and Dad, of course, each put on 15 pounds...


Congrats on your finalization!

Katie in Dalton OH

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

we went to a developmental pediatrician and she got on my case for switching our baby to regular formula (Which I was told to do by my regular ped) and said I am feeding her too much baby food (which my dr. said to do). I felt like a bad mom too, but theres only so much you can do when your doctor tells you something. Also, Noura (shes 9 mos, 6 developmentally) just started regularly rolling over. they said its common to be later now that the "back to sleep" rule is in place.
just wanted to share common frusterations from one preemie mom to another!

Jeannie said...

Hey - just checking in to see what you found out Friday. Jason gave good advice. Go with the doctor that you trust the most & who has been following Isaac. Just curious if the ped recommended feeding him more real food or if you are supposed to stick to formula.

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

I have also walked away from many appointments feeling like the bad, depriving mom too! Our adopted daughter from Taiwan will be 2 next month and weighs a whopping 19 pounds. The drs. have been all over us about how underweight she is. (she was 4 lb at birth). But, she is healthy, developing at a fairly good pace and now our ped. tells us: she is just going to be a small little girl!! Keep doing what you are doing. The thing your little guys needs MOST, he is getting--love from a FOREVER FAMILY!!!