Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Papa


Papa and Isaac a few weeks ago when we went for our visit. Papa was telling him he wanted to play basketball with him someday.


Papa died tonight. Mom called and said about 10:25. I was relieved. For a few minutes. And then the waterworks. I started thinking about the way he always looked at me when I walked in the door and when I was on my way out. It was the sparkle in his eyes. If a person could love another the way Jesus loves us, that would be how Papa made me feel. Everytime. And when he said, "I love you, peanut" I knew he really meant it. And that always felt really good.

I keep thinking about him being restored, now, in heaven. No more breathing treatments, no more pills, no more sleepless nights. He can mow the lawn, he can shovel the snow, he can go on trips in his motorhome again. He can collect more milk jugs, organize the carriage house and get around to fixing up his antique car (at least antique to me). And that makes me feel good.

A good friend of mine has a Puritan Proverb on her blog that reads, "Life has become a little less sweet, death a little less bitter."

Well said.

12 comments:

Amy L said...

Tiffany,

I will be praying for you in the days and weeks ahead. May you find peace and comfort from the ONLY ONE who can provide it. May you feel God's love and blessings.

Amy

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Papa. He's very proud of you, I'm sure. Look at the love in his eyes for Baby Isaac :-)

Peace to you over the next days...

Josh Buck said...

Praying for you, knowing how your heart is breaking for the loss and soaring for his gain, all at the same time. Love you.

bome62 said...

Tiffany, you & your family are in my thoughts & prayers. What GREAT memories of your papa.
Bonnie
Washington, Missouri

Kristina said...

Tiffany,
Kathy just called & told me. I am so sorry for your loss. From what you have written about him on here, he sounded like a very special person. Our thoughts & prayers are with all of you!

Kristina & Andy Allan

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

You are in my prayers. It is not easy to lose a loved one, especially a much loved grandparent. Hang onto the memories! They will be here a lifetime :)

Lizze said...

Tiffany, Gram & Family,

I am so sorry for your loss but your blog was a beautiful tribute. *hugs*

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts up for you

God Bless & Much Love!

Amy Noel said...

Okay, now I feel like the worst friend! I just called you and cried for like an hour, and I hadn't checked your blog this week (and you didn't tell me) about your Papa. I am so sorry, Tiffany! Thanks for being supportive and listening to me, especially when you've had what I am sure is an emotional week. I will be praying for you and your family as you grieve the loss of such a special man and as you celebrate his life and the work of the Lord in him. I hope you'll forgive me...I love you!

Rachel Udy said...

Tiffany, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Papa! I know I told you a few days ago but I lost my sweet Papa a few weeks ago so I can totally relate. It stings and I get it. Fortunately we know we will meet again in heaven. I'm sad for you because I know you will miss him. Sending big hugs.

Brown Eyed Girl said...

I am sooo sorry for you. I wish there was something I could say that would make it easier. Knowing he is in heaven makes it easier but still missing him on earth is tough. You are in my thoughts and prayer.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Good morning my friend. I'm at work and thought I'd send you a quick note as my phone is not charged. I love you so much and cherish our friendship. Your papa raised quite a girl...I'm CERTAIN he's smiling down at you right now. I'll call later...

thepeloubets.blogspot.com said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am one of the nurses from the NICU in Canton and I was so sorry that I wasn't working when you brought Isaac in. You have been writing about your grandparents as long as you have been blogging and it's almost like we know them. We can tell in that picture how much love that man had for your little buddy and I'm sure for you, Hannah, and Jason. Please, the next time you blog, let us know how "Gram" is doing. She must be devastated. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Judy